Print This Recipe
" Root " for This Winning Pasta Sauce
Servings: Makes 4 quarts
Cook Time: 128 minutes
Prep Time: 25 minutes
This recipe will be pureed until smooth.
1 tablespoon Olive oil
1 medium Onion, chopped
2 stalks celery, chopped
2 each carrots, peeled and chopped
2 each parsnip, peeled and chopped
1 teaspoon oregano
4- 6 each Garlic cloves, left whole
1 each can sliced beets, drained
2 each (28 oz) cans tomatoes, diced or crushed
2 tablespoons tomato paste, dissolved in
2 cups warm water
2 teaspoons salt
1 dash pepper, to taste
1/2 cup parsley, minced
1. Heat olive oil in large soup pot and saute chopped onion, celery, carrots, and parsnips over medium heat until soft, about 6 - 8 minutes.
2. Add oregano and stir about 30 seconds. Add remaining ingredients (excluding parsley) plus 3 cups water and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer about 2 hours.
3. Remove cover, stir in parsley, taste and adjust seasonings. Allow mixture to cool. Puree in a blender or food processor or with an immersion blender.
4. Serve over your favorite whole-wheat or whole-grain pasta.
* Percent Daily Values are based on 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs:
|Servings||Makes 4 quarts|
|Calories||105 kcal (5%)|
|Calories from Fat||108 kcal (0%)|
|Total Fat||12 g (18%)|
|Saturated Fat||12 g (60%)|
|Cholesterol||1 mg (0%)|
|Sodium||1334 mg (55%)|
|Total Carbohydrates||28 g (9%)|
|Dietary Fiber||12 g (48%)|
|Protein||12 g (20%)|
|Vitamin A||6733 IU (134%)|
|Vitamin C||41 mg (68%)|
|Calcium||99 mg (1%)|
|Iron||13 mg (21%)|